My personal impression of the whole PvP (Player versus Player) thing is that it is pointless. Even if the bugs were gone, it would still be this:
You invest much time in getting materials etc., you stick them together, then, in a matter of a few seconds, the fate of all your inventory is decided by whom the lag favors and who clicks faster or knows "this one certain way to jump" etc.
What I want (again, personal view):
- Explore (and get as far away from spawn as possible).
- Survive the nightly monstrosities. Have fun torturing animals to death, wondering why a burned pig doesn't drop roasted bacon.
- Mine for / plant / harvest materials.
- Build stuff.
- And that's why the Creepers must go. They don't belong in SMP. SMP is officially
designed with teleportation in mind, if you think of the /spawn command. And if Notch is not completely retarded, he will at some point implement the /sethome system, because otherwise you cannot make use of the large map (which you have
to make use of with many people playing), the players couldn't really interact or trade without /sethome. So, and if you teleport to a target, the waiting creepers explode you and the next building to garbage. (Yes, you could make a walled-off city and torches everywhere. That is an option. Maybe I have to wait that one out for a final opinion. But if that's really the only way to tolerate Creepers, I find that a bit too strict and work-loaded. And you will never enjoy your town at night - with zombies between the houses, playing NightOfTheLivingDead or something.) That makes sense in Single Player where you can kinda control this, but in SMP it's just garbage. I got an email from Notch yesterday regarding giving the players options. He just said: "Simpler is better." Well, he wants to keep the amount of different "games" low that switches etc. can result in. So, maybe he will not implement a no-creeper (but monsters) switch. Then someone has to make a modification to make this a reality. Just as lockable chests and "admin" levels belong in that game as a default. No creepers in SMP please. They just suck.
- Otherwise, I just want to coexist with the other players and grow something out of nothing. In the future, I'll hopefully sit in the living room of other player's houses and listen to one of the many records that will be available (see interview
with C418 on 2010-10-31). And maybe other activities. Who knows? Some day, someone makes a chess room, and people meet in that house to play. Stuff like that. Second Life! Only, you know, with FUN!