Okay I don't know who has been on the server for a long time, but when the server 1st came out there was a rule that said that there would be a new map every 3 months. It has been 8 months since the last server map reset. No one is wanting to make a town with people but they rather move way out to a random cord and make an epic house for no one to see. I think that people are leaving the server because there is really nothing to do on the build map any more there are almost no new towns. I know people put a lot of time and effort on making there buildings but really we all have seen them like 100 times. I think it's time to see some new things on this server. Who is with me??
GOOD Reasons (Bellow)
GOOD Reasons (Bellow)
1. Getting a new map every so often keeps things fresh and interesting, makes the world not feel so stale.
2. People are more likely to work together if there are resets because you no longer have an "infinite" amount of time in which to work on projects.
3. People will probably focus on building more nice things, instead of spamming projects that never get finished.
4. It keeps the map relevant, instead of making it a server wide ghostville.
Q:"But what's the point?! My stoofs is just gonna dissapear".
A: The point is that now every few months you would get a chance to show everyone what you can do if given a fresh start, your building skills will constantly be on display.
Statement: "I've spent so much time I don't wanna lose what I am working on!!"
Counter Statement/answer: Think back on all the projects you have ever done, you probably have TONS of projects that you either no longer care about, or you long ago abandoned, eventually it will be the same with your current project. Getting a new map keeps peoples work relevant over and over again.
Long post incoming, my sincerest apologies.
After reading DrMadFellow and FrothingLuck's views, I'm gonna play the total hypocrite and flip flop on my earlier points. I think having a completely new map might be nice for a change. Yeah, I would be pretty upset to lose all of my projects, but starting over can be nice as well. I would also hate to lose all of the public warps, as one of the coolest perks of being VIP is just seeing everything people have made (where it's far less likely to be griefed).
Or just for nostalgia's sake/the lulz, we move the spawn point back to old spawn and see how it goes. I for one would love to see people using I-95/Newport/all the old towns again.
I'm split on Oliver's idea. I would like to see the first 2 of his points implemented in a new map, but as Frothing said, I don't care for having a specific VIP only build zone as I can think of several people off the top of my head who are non-vip but are FAR better builders than I could ever hope to be. Also, I agree that I rather like the very lightly organized chaos that has been both spawns.
Simply as an idea, what about instead of making a single area VIP only, we instead setup plots in certain areas around spawn, which would range from small (ex. 15x15) to enormous (ex. 250x250). These could then be used instead for:
1. Reserved areas for people to build really awesome stuff (like Oli said), but we make it open for anyone and with an application process.
Ex. Someone wants to build a giant ninja eating a bullshark out of gold blocks, but they want to do so in one of these reserved areas (which may be blocked from griefing, much like Spawn is), and they want it near spawn so people will see it (which is why they chose one of these areas). They then go on the forum, and under possibly a build subforum, write a detailed post on what they want to build, how they'll build it, how many materials it will take, they prove that they already possess all the materials for the project, who will help them, why they want to build it, what it will be used for, etc. Then either the community, or just VIP+ vote on whether to allow or deny the project.
2. Areas to copy over select projects from the old (our current) map for anyone to see, and in a way that they would be ungriefable. This idea has the major flaw though that EVERYONE will want to have their stuff copied. For something like this, it would again be a community vote, and I think largely it would be VIP+ projects from the old (our current) map that were built very far from spawn to prevent griefing. In other words, sort of like making certain public warps open for everyone to see as they'll be moved next to spawn.
As an example, I would love to see Pharos copied over and placed somewhere near the spawn point. Nothing would make me happier than to read the chat feed filled with people quaking in fear at the grandeur and magnificence that is Pharos. And of course, to give them the chance to walk through it and possible soil their pants.
These copied over items would possible just be very large builds though, and would be placed in large sections within maybe 1000 blocks of spawn.
3. Similar to 1, possibly just areas for large towns? Though I don't much care for living in other people's towns either, it would be interesting to see what might spring up.
4. There is no point 4.
Anyways, sorry for the wall of words guys. This is just some of the ideas I've been thinking about.